Our scented soy candles are a great way to add an uplifting scent to your home or office. We personally inspect each and every candle that we make to ensure that you’re receiving a great product that you’ll love. Have you ever wondered how to get the most out of your soy candle? There are a few tricks to get the most use and enjoyment out of your candle.
To Get the Most Burn Time with Your Candle
Every time you burn your candle, you want the ‘melt pool’ to spread across the entire surface so that the wax is melted (ie, liquid) right to the edge of the glass. Allowing your wax to melt to the edge means that all the soy wax is being consumed and none of it will go to waste. Your aim is to avoid ‘tunneling’ which is when the melting wax tunnels down instead of spreading out to the glass. Tunneling will mean that a lot of wax won’t be consumed by the flame and therefore will be wasted. How to get the most out of your soy candle:
- Use your candle on a level surface: uneven surfaces will cause melted wax to pool towards one side of the candle.
- Place your candle on a surface where drafts aren’t present: noticeable drafts will encourage one side of the wax to melt more/faster than the other.
- Always let your wax melt to the edge before extinguishing the flame: you should expect the flame to take at least 1 hour (sometimes longer) to achieve this. Extinguishing the flame before melted wax reaches the edge will cause tunneling.
- Before each burn ensure the wick is trimmed to approximately 7mm (1/4 inch): having a taller wick results in a larger flame which in turn will consume the wax at a faster rate. We ensure the wick is the correct length upon receiving your candle, but you must keep it trimmed as you go.
- Keep melt pool free of wick trimmings and other debris: clean and pure wax will melt easier and encourage an even burn pool.
It’s important to try and take these steps right from the very first burn. If you allow your candle to tunnel from the first burn then it will continue to tunnel during subsequent burns.
How to Be Safe with Your Candle
We’ve all heard the saying ‘play with fire and you’ll get burned’. Please be responsible with your candle:
- Never leave your candle burning unattended: and always extinguish your candle if leaving the house.
- Don’t let water get into the wax: if water is introduced into hot wax you might experience splattering and popping of the wax.
- Be responsible: never leave your candle where pets or children can interfere.
- Keep your candle away from flammable items: especially cloth trimmings, curtains and drapes etc.
- Keep your candle out of direct sunlight: and keep away from other heat sources such as stove tops.
- Make sure your candle is completely extinguished: check for red embers or smoking wicks.