When I first started writing this blog post, words like “COVID19”, “lockdown” and “social distancing” weren’t a part of our everyday language yet.
The world is a totally different place since I typed those first words and I was blissfully unaware of how significant this topic would become.
Why do local businesses matter?
According to a government report, 97 per cent of all companies in New Zealand are small businesses, employing 30% of our working population and contributing $153 billion to our economy in 2018. That’s one-quarter of all NZ business revenue! Source: business.org.nz
Small, local businesses are powerful. They keep our regional towns flourishing. They keep money in our local communities. They keep Kiwis employed.
What’s so special about NZ made?
When you buy a product produced locally in New Zealand, you know it has been ethically made by someone who works in good conditions and is paid a living wage.
More than that, Kiwi products are renowned for their quality, reliability, and ingenuity.
Isn’t it good to know that the fruit in your ice cream was grown locally? Your natural home and beauty products were created by a dedicated mother who wants a better world for her children. The Postie or Courier who delivers your online purchase is putting his son through medical school. The wood framing in your house was grown on the East Coast and supports local families. The milk in your take away coffee was farmed by a young couple building a legacy for their children to inherit.
When you buy from a local business, you’re not just purchasing a product. You’re supporting a brave entrepreneur, a single parent, a whanau, and a whole supply chain of Kiwis who want to contribute to a better New Zealand.
You Can Make a Difference
- Take the time to find local equivalents for products that you would normally buy from big chain stores or overseas companies.
- When you buy a product, share a photo of it on your social media and tag the business.
- When it’s your birthday, ask others to buy you gifts that are NZ made.
- Follow local businesses on social media and like and share their posts.
- Leave them a great review online or on their product listings.
- Join New Zealand Made Products to discover thousands of amazing NZ businesses who need your support.
He waka eke noa – we are all in this together!
Lockdown may almost be over but for many entrepreneurs, the mammoth task of rebuilding their businesses is just beginning.
Your dollars don’t just fill tills. They fill hearts, tummies, and dreams.