In my opinion, beauty is definitely more than skin deep. Some of the most beautiful women I know are over 70 years old – their laughter lines and delicate papery skin tell the story of a life well-lived, and strength and wisdom that can only be attained over time.
Growing older is a privilege. We can embrace the natural process of aging while simultaneously doing what we can do to look after our skin and keep it healthy and nourished.
How Your Skin Changes as You Age
When we are children, the cells in our skin’s outer layer, the epidermis, are renewed every 28 days. However, as we get older, this rate slows down and less collagen and elastin are produced. This makes our skin thinner, more transparent, and slower to heal.
Mature skin also retains less water and dehydrates quicker. Exposure to the sun leaves its mark with increased pigmentation and wrinkles as the years go by. Not to mention the effects of gravity, which none of us can fight naturally!
Caring for Your Skin
The way your skin ages depends on many factors, including genetics and lifestyle.
Here are some simple things you can do to look after your skin:
- Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen – I can’t say it enough! Exposure to UV radiation causes premature aging and skin cancer.
- Hydration – As we age, drinking enough water and using natural moisturisers without toxic chemicals are both essential to help protect our skin.
- Reduce stress – Stress decreases the amount of collagen our bodies produce. Dealing with issues in your life that are stressing you, regular exercise, meditation and yoga, and making time for activities you enjoy are all ways you can lessen stress.
- Stop smoking and don’t drink excessively – This dehydrates and ages your skin prematurely.
- Eat a balanced, nutritious diet – Supply your skin with the proteins, vitamins, minerals and fatty acids it needs to renew cells and combat environmental stressors.
- Look after your lips – Don’t forget that your lips are skin too! Apply Shea Butter Lip Balm to protect your lips from dehydrating and cracking. We have a great blog post where I share the secret to soft beautiful lips.
- Moisturise your skin daily – feed and protect your skin with quality, natural ingredients after washing as these activities can strip your skin of natural moisturisers. Many of our customers are never without a tin of our luscious body butter during winter.
Our Bestselling Products to Help You Look After Your Skin
Our range of skincare products is proudly made right here in New Zealand from natural ingredients used for centuries to nourish and feed the skin.
- Body Butter – Perfect for nourishing dry and tight skin, especially during winter
- Hand and Body Lotion – Light and non-greasy, great for all-over use from your face to your feet
- Coffee Body Scrub – Exfoliate away dead skin cells and rejuvenate your skin with our special blend of natural oils
- Bath Salts – Pamper your skin and relax your mind with our mineral-rich blend
- Shea Butter Lip Balm – Care for your lips with 100% natural ingredients, all picked for their nourishing and protective properties
- Minty Foot Balm – Don’t forget to look after your feet! This is more than just a foot balm – read more about why this is probably the most useful balm you’ll ever buy!
MAKE THE DECISION TODAY TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR SKIN! Click here to go shopping…